NEW YORK, NY/ACCESSWIRE/June 14, 2022/Stevia Corp. (OTC PINK:STEV) (“Stevia Corp” or the “Company”), a healthcare company focused on the commercial development of products that support a healthy lifestyle, today announced the appointment of David L. Cooper, Ph.D., MD, CEO and Founder of PhytoMedical Solutions, LLC and PhytoDental Solutions, LLC to its Scientific Advisory Board. Dr. Cooper earned his Ph.D. in Chemistry from Florida State University and his MD from the University of Florida.
Dr. Cooper was first scientific director and chief operating officer of Quest Diagnostics Nichols Institute, then scientific director of Quest Diagnostics (DGX: NYSE). The Nichols Institute, a wholly owned division of Quest Diagnostics, is the premier reference laboratory for Quest Diagnostics. The Nichols Institute is also known as one of the premier reference laboratories worldwide (Nichols Institute: The Quest Diagnostics Advantage – YouTube)
While at Quest Diagnostics, Dr. Cooper coordinated Quest’s transition from the Nichols Institute to an ISO 9001 company, expanded its HIV and genetic testing, and reorganized the Nichols Institute’s research and test development efforts by focusing focusing on a clinical specialty. Dr. Cooper has also helped open new markets for Quest Diagnostics in Asia, South America and Europe.
Dr. Cooper later served as Medical Director of NimbleGen Systems Inc. At NimbleGen Systems, Dr. Cooper established NimbleGen Systems of Iceland, LLC, which manufactured custom DNA templates and related services for the global DNA market. Scientific Research. Dr. Cooper also served as Senior Scientific Advisor at Visible Genetics, Inc. of Toronto, Canada, where he was involved in the development of TRUGENE MT HIV-1 Genotyping Kit, the first drug resistance test approved by the FDA for routine clinical use.
In academia, Dr. Cooper has held tenured professorships in pathology at Duke University Medical Center and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. While a professor of molecular pathology at Duke and UPMC, Dr. Cooper’s research focused on defining the different isoforms and the role of CD44 in tumor metastasis. His original research continues to be highly regarded and regularly referenced as CD44 therapies move into clinical trials. While at the University of Pittsburgh, he founded the first Division of Molecular Pathology in the United States, helped found and served as the first president of the Association for Molecular Pathology (AMP), and was editor and founder of the journal Molecular Diagnosis – “A journal devoted to understanding human disease through the clinical application of molecular biology.” His academic honors include the prestigious Lichfield Lectureship, University of Oxford, Oxford, England. Dr. Cooper is the author of over 100 scientific and medical publications on molecular diagnostics, infectious diseases, hematology, cancer, human genetics, pediatrics, precision medicine and the development of novel gene therapies that have been supported by numerous grants, including grants from the National Institutes of Health, the American Cancer Society, and the Department of Defense Breast Cancer Initiative. Over the past year, Dr. Cooper continues to actively publish his most recent clinical research in three manuscripts in the international, peer-reviewed, open-access Journal Clinics in Medicine (ISSN: 2688-6731).
Dr. Cooper has also played a key advisory role in major medical devices that have resulted in commercially successful products and/or acquisitions by major pharmaceutical and medical technology companies.
- As Senior Medical Advisor to Visible Genetics (Toronto), he oversaw TRUGEN HIV-1 DNA sequencing format that was the first commercial sequencing kit approved by the FDA to detect HIV resistance. To market and distribute products in the United States, he created “The Gene Foundry” as a spin-off that successfully distributed TruGene devices and kits across the United States. Visible Genetics and TRUGENE were later acquired by Bayer for US$61.4 million.
- Built and managed NimbleGen microarray technology in Reykjavik, Iceland using the chemistry of photosynthesis. The facility served European and American investigators with DNA chips designed uniquely for each investigative purpose. Dr. Cooper has built the staff to 20 members located in Iceland. NimbleGen was acquired by Roche for US$250 million
- Dr. Cooper designed the physical layout and staffing requirements of the CODIS Mass Spectrometry Laboratory for IBIS Biosciences. Ibishas beenacquired by Abbott and leads to the development of IBISTIGER/T5000 Universal Biosensor Platform. The purchase price was over US$220 million.
- As acting CMO of Eragen, Dr. Cooper oversaw the early work that led to FDA 510K approval of their HSV test and assisted in the development of components of a viral respiratory panel later brought to market by Luminex which acquired EraGen for US$25 million and stock incentives.
- Designed and hired the original lab manager for Affymetrix’s 10,000 square foot CLIA lab in Sacramento, CA. The lab was later transferred and acquired by Navigenics under undisclosed financial terms of over US$100 million.
- As CSO Quest Diagnosis, oversaw the development of the portfolio of 80-100 new and reworked tests each year. First establish diagnostics in humans in the fields of infectious diseases, endocrinology, cardiology, respiratory diseases and cancer.
- As an external consultant, trained Original Qiagen Clinical Advisory Board where the world’s leading blood product stabilizing nucleic acids PAXgene RNA and DNA and other products are derived.
Kenneth Maciora, President and CEO of Stevia Corp., said, “We are delighted that Dr. Cooper has accepted our invitation to join our advisory group. Dr. Cooper’s academic and business accomplishments are well known to those who worked with him during His knowledge and guidance as we launched our business plan will be invaluable to Stevia Corp. and I’m beyond thrilled that Dr. Cooper is part of our plan.
Mr. Maciora added, “The current formulation development and clinical research that Dr. Cooper and his colleagues are doing with cannabinoids in dental science and the links between dental and systemic disease is groundbreaking. As we launch our products, we will have further discussions with Dr. Cooper about his current work and a possible collaboration between his company and Stevia Corp. Dr. Cooper has a vision to do quality research and engage in real science to explore how cannabinoids can improve dental health and possibly affect the regeneration of tissue damaged by periodontitis and gingivitis.”
Dr. Cooper commented, “I am honored to join Stevia’s efforts to develop natural health products. The development of an association with Stevia Corp. is a natural choice as my interest in plants and natural health products has grown during my career in chemistry, This is an exciting time for Stevia Corp and I look forward to contributing my experience and expertise .”
About Stevia Corp.
Stevia Corp. focuses on the development, marketing and sale of carefully selected dietary supplements and herbal extracts for human health. The Company markets its products through independent and unbiased customer reviews written by real customers who are verified users of the Company’s products. Stevia Corp is also developing a brand of organic stevia.
Notice Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” as that term is defined in Section 27A of the United States Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. . Statements in this press release, which are not purely historical, are forward-looking statements and include all statements regarding beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future. Actual results could differ from those projected in the forward-looking statements due to many factors. These factors include, among others, the inherent uncertainties associated with new projects and development-stage businesses. These forward-looking statements are made as of the date of this press release, and we undertake no obligation to update the forward-looking statements or to update the reasons why actual results could differ from those projected in the forward-looking statements. Although we believe that the beliefs, plans, expectations and intentions contained in this press release are reasonable, there can be no assurance that such beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions will prove to be correct.
THE SOURCE: Stevia Corp.
See the source version on accesswire.com: