Accreditation to validate universities and programs


Our thematic series on American higher education continues in today chronicle with the special subject of “Accreditation”. Accreditation is a system for recognizing educational institutions and professional programs for their level of quality, performance and integrity on the basis of published criteria and standards. The accreditation process validates the integrity of an educational program and or the institution and for the student, it is an indication that the institution or program meets certain standards of excellence. If the university or program that a student assists / pursues is not accredited, the degree may not be recognized by employers, other universities, governments of other countries or a household from the country Department of Education.

Additionally, only an I-20 document issued by a college or university accredited to international students can be used to apply for a US student visa. The accreditation process not only serves to verify that an institution or program meets established standards, but also helps students select acceptable institutions for their applications, assists institutes in determining the acceptability of transfer credits, establishes criteria for professional certification and licensure, and stimulates a general rise in standards among educational institutions. In the United States, there are two main types of accreditations -institutional and programmatic.

Institutional accreditation is granted by regional and national accreditation commissions, while programmatic (Professional) accreditation is granted by committees operated by professional organizations in fields such as engineering, journalism, business studies and architecture. There is no federal Department of Education or other centralized authority in the United States that exercises single national control over post-secondary institutions in the country.

Hyderabad News

click here for more information on Hyderabad

States exercise varying degrees of control over education, but, in general, higher education institutions are allowed to operate with considerable independence and autonomy. As a result, American educational institutions can vary widely in the character and quality of their programs, and accreditation is purely voluntary and self-regulation.

International students applying to US colleges and universities can find out if a course or university is accredited by visiting the database of accredited programs and institutions published by the US Department of Education at or the Ministry of Homeland Security at Later weeks column, we will continue the discussion on accreditations and talk about programmatic or professional accreditations.Monika Setia (Regional officer and Education United States Advisor to the United States-India Educational Foundation based at the United States Consulate General in Hyderabad.

(Please visit for more information)

Q. What are the different types of student visas available to study in the United States? – Pragnia

A. All international students must begin their studies in the United States on a student visa. Most non-US citizens who wish to study in the United States will apply for an F-1 (non-immigrant) student visa, but there are other types of visas that are sometimes permitted for those studying in the United States. Here is a brief description of the different types of visas that involve to study:

• F-1, or student Visa: This visa is most common for those who wish to undertake university studies in the United States. It is aimed at people who want to study at an accredited US college or university or study English at an intensive English university or institute.

• D-1, or Exchange Visitor: This visa is for people who will be participating in a visitor exchange program in the United States. the “J” visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs.

• M-1, or Student Visa: This visa is for those who will be engaged in non-academic or professional study or training at an institution in the United States. The US Department of State, Office of Consular Affairs is your official source on student visas. Find out more here –

Q. Please explain how to prepare transcripts for undergraduate applications to US universities? – Akhil

A. Academic records are generally referred to as transcripts in the US higher education system. For an undergraduate candidate, admissions offices at US institutions review a student’s academic record for the past four years, that is to say records of 9th through 12th Standard. If the student is currently in 12th grade, records up to 11th standard must be submitted at the time of application along with any mid-year marks or expected scores for 12th Standard. American universities require academic documents or transcripts in a particular way. Very importantly, the transcript must be officially issued by the school or school board under which the student continued his education. his her schooling. Photocopies of grade sheets or report cards are not acceptable. In addition, the transcript must list all subjects / courses that the student has followed during each year of his studies, with the notes / notes received on each subject. All academic records must be in English and must bear the seal or stamp of the School education board of directors to be considered official. Usually, get a set of these transcripts (one for each grade level, that is to say 9, 10, 11 and 12) should suffice. At the time of the request, the school advisers scanner / photocopy mark the leaves and Download them on the application portal. For final admission, the original grade sheets are verified against the transcripts by the US admissions institution.


Comments are closed.